tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

I paid for car insurance with Lancaster cost £126.25 effective

I paid for car insurance with Lancaster cost £126.25 effective from 1st July 2014. My Morris Minor has failed its MOT today and is unrepairable. I cancelled my insurance policy today and have been told that there is car insurance cost of £15.90 for 30 days insurance, admin costs of £35.00, legal charges of £25.00 and a cancellation fee of £50.00. There will be no refund of my payment as refunds of less than £10.00 are not made.
This seems rather extortionate. Please can you advise me.
Many thanks and best wishes.
Why do you want to cancel?
Are you hoping to claim a full refund?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You have confirmed that you have received my payment but you have not given any legal advice.

Please respond to my query.

I need the information I asked for?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My 50 years old Morris Minor failed the MOT and is now off the road so I no longer require the car insurance. I cancelled the policy after just 30 days but Lancaster say I am unlikely to get a refund due to cancellation fee, legal charges and admin costs.

Yes, so
Why do you want to cancel?
Are you hoping to claim a full refund?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I had explained that my Morris Minor had failed the MOT and was unrepairable. The car was off the road and I requested a refund of my car insurance with Lancaster after just 30 days of a 12 month policy. They advised that no refund was due.
Would it be possible to give me the information I asked for?
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

Hi thanks for your question. I see you have re-listed it as you're not happy with the answer given so far. As such I will answer it for you.

You will need to check through the terms and conditions of the policy that you already have from your insurer. You need to see what it says about cancellation etc. and what sums they insurer claims to be entitled to.

You could be right in that this might be an unfair agreement if it charges extortionate amounts which do more than fairly compensate the insurer. In this case, there should be an internal complaints process that you can undertake with the insurer and it's always worth doing this if you don't get back the sums you believe you're entitled to.

After that, if you don't get back what you think is fair, you have the right to refer the matter to the Financial Ombudsman service. They can force an insurer to refund more money to you if they think it just and fair in the circumstances. You can make a complaint (which is free to do) online at http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/

Does this help?

Tony

tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience: 11 years experience of general practice.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I suggest you so called experts actually read the questions. What part of "failed MOT" "car unrepairable" "cancelled car insurance after 30 days" did they fail to understand". I'm not impressed.
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

Does this help?

Tony