12826847

dear sir or madam. i am with a broadband company,and i have

dear sir or madam. i am with a broadband company,and i have a contract till next year.so i phone them up and explained to them ,i could not a ford monthly payments i know i had a fee to pay, when they told me the price 300 pounds there no way i can pay it,and i can not pay monthly payments.what can i do. John
Is it in your personal name ?
Are you prepared to risk a default on your record?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes my name is ***** ***** a default yes i am

A default on your credit rating?
It will have a negative impact for 6 years if you want to borrow money?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what do you need to know

Whether you are happy to risk a default?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes i am Jo

If you are locked into a contract then they are entitled to enforce it. There is no way around it. Contracts are difficult to escape lawfully.
A cancellation sum is completely unenforceable against you but the difficulty is that they will not sue for that sum. They will sue for a lost profits claim which is due under the contract.
If you just cannot afford to pay then you can always refuse to pay and invite them to sue. its very unlikely that they will sue. Its not worth the manpower.
What they may do is get debt collectors to pester you although they have very limited powers that really just extend to writing to you and phoning.
The risk though is that they will add a default to your credit account which is generally to be avoided. Its very damaging if you want to borrow money in the next six years.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

from John.so i just stop the monthly direct debits.will they come to my house, or just letters and phone calls.

No, they can't do that unless they get a CCJ which they would have to go to court to do.
There is a risk they could do that but not likely.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you Jo for that advice its been useful to know.enjoy rest of the day.John

No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/