12826847

Following extensive correspondence over some years I have a

Following extensive correspondence over some years I have a letter sent by email from British Gas dated 13.2.14 confirming that they do not supply electricity to my property. Despite this they are still sending demands addressed to "the occupier". On 47.14 I sent a letter to Head of Operations by recorded delivery giving notice of my intention to instigate proceedings for harassment. Since then I have continued to receive demands for payment; the latest dated 4.8.14 threatening disconnection, court warrants etc. Can I proceed given that the letters are not specifically addressed to me. I feel that there is no other way of stopping this.
Sorry if I'm missing the point but how are you receiving the letters unless you are at the property?
How does supply gas to your property?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am at the property but my supplier is Scottish Hydro - it hasn't been BG for many years - at least 7 - I don't keep bills older than that.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It started in 2006 with a bill for 15p gradually rising to £16.19 in Sept 13 - all of which I ignored then the next bill in Dec 13 was for £571.76 at which point I pointed out that they did not supply the property. Here is the letter I sent in Feb 14.

"I refer to your latest communication dated 3rd February. Please note that the statement “For energy supplied at Flat 7 Temple House EN7 5HY is not correct; you do not supply any energy to that address. The fact of the matter is, as you have been told many times, that this meter is in a garage which is seldom used and there is a separate supply to the residence which is some 100 meters or so from the garage.

I have tried on a number of occasions to provide a meter reading and you refuse to accept it. Your constant manoeuvres are now at the point where I can regard them as nothing short of harassment. Not only do I get ridiculous bills but you constantly demand that for “health and safety reasons” I need to have the meter changed; given that no attempt has ever been made to change the meter in my residence I have to assume this is all part of the harassment campaign.

The electricity in the garage is currently turned off, as it has been for some time, and the meter reading is “0000 1.22” and so, if anything, I suspect that you owe me money so if you want to pursue the matter please feel free I’ll see you in court and counter sue for harassment.

I await your comments with interest."

Hope this helps.

It was after that that I received the letter confirming that they agreed they were not the supplier and advised me that the account was removed and the account closed.

That doesn't necessarily mean there isn't a claim.
What happened to the bill for 0.15p ? Are they saying they added interest to it?
Or are they claiming for future supplies?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The bill was no more valid than the others - they were not supplying me at that time. They simply added a few units of alleged usage each quarter even though I was with Scottish Hydro. There was no mention of interest..

Its not safe to ignore it. It is addressed to the occupier but that is a non issue really. You are the occupier and anyway you have clearly received it.
It might very well be a baseless bill that can be contested but if you don't contest it then they will get a gas warrant to gain entry to your property and obstructing them would be an offence.
You can sue them for harassment. There has been some case law that supports that but that did involve a person who owed nothing at all and had never had a contract with the relevant company. Courts are reluctant generally to allow harassment to be used for this purpose and in the test case the court just couldn't avoid finding in his favour.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There are no monies due to them. Are you saying that because I once had a contract with them there is nothing I can do to stop them from continually demanding money from me for services not provided? I have already told them and even have a letter confirming the situation.

The letter I have received already says "I've made the necessary arrangements to have the account balance removed and the account closed down."

Is there not a form of words that I can insist on that will put a stop to this once and for all?

No, there are no words that will make this go away.
If you ignore them then they probably will seek a warrant in the manner I explained above.
Therefore, it is not safe to ignore this.