UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

a internment of my aunts cremated remains has been done on

a internment of my aunts cremated remains has been done on my mothers grave in 2010 - (my mother died in 1946) which does not have any burial rights and they are now owned by the council.i was not aware of this latest internment.i was not advised by iether family or council.this latest burial was arranged between the deceaseds husband and the councli-no third party involved.my question is- should the council have checked to accertain whether any immediate next of kin were alive prior to this latest internment,despite the apparent fact that they held the burial rights
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
I am afraid, no, the council has no legal duty to ascertain whether there was a next of kin as there was no exclusive right of burial held by your late mother or her estate or the family for that matter.
May I help further?