75100385

I have been told that the law relating to motor insurance claims

Customer Question

I have been told that the law relating to motor insurance claims has recently changed and that I may be due a payment following a minor incident in 2012. I understand that compensation is now payable even tho no injury was sustained to compensate for 'inconvenience' and applies to all those in the car at the time. Can you confirm this please.

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

There has never been a rule that says you can / can not claim for inconvenience.

Alex Watts :

However if it went to Court a Judge is likely to just say, well that's a matter of life that you have to put up with

Alex Watts :

There are actual costs such as telephone etc which are not recoverable and these are just the costs of litigation

Alex Watts :

So whilst there has never been a bar to such claims, in reality they are not likely to succeeed

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Alex Watts :

JACUSTOMER-6u72xekl- : Can't see how this has anything to do with my question.
JACUSTOMER-6u72xekl- : looking forward to your ' great' answer.
Alex Watts :

Your question was: "You have been told the law relating to insurance has changed and you can make a claim for inconvenience." and "Can you confirm this please"

Alex Watts :

The answer is no, the law has not changed in relation to this.

Alex Watts :

There has never been anything stopping you from making a claim for inconvenience

Alex Watts :

The Courts only ever award a nominal sum

Alex Watts :

Does that clarify?

JACUSTOMER-6u72xekl- : Perfectly, thank you.
Alex Watts :

Does this answer your question today or is there anything else I can help with?

JACUSTOMER-6u72xekl- : What is a nominal sum in the courts eyes ?
Alex Watts :

In reality probably less than £500

JACUSTOMER-6u72xekl- : Thank you
Alex Watts :

Does that answer the question for you today please?

JACUSTOMER-6u72xekl- : That's all thank you.
Alex Watts :

Great. If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please.

JACUSTOMER-6u72xekl- : That's all thank you
Alex Watts :

If the system wont let you or you need more help please click reply

Alex Watts :

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/