75100385

I have a lodger in my home. He has re-acted badly

I have a lodger in my home. He has re-acted badly to a request I made for him to remove his training shoes from the hall 31st july 2014. The smell was offensive and I was going to prepare food. He has re-acted by firstly ignoring me when I speak to him and now by banging cupboard doors and washing machine door and slamming internal doors and the front door, if I am in the same area he comes into. He has been looking for a house-share with some friends and I'M content to wait until he finds something suitable, but if he continues to bang and slam doors he's going to break something. He pays weekly his bank to my bank, there is no contract of any sort so where do I stand with giving him notice to leave? He is a very angry and spiteful person and he and his mother work with my lady-friend and I'm worried about them causing her trouble through work. Thanks, ***** *****

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

If he has no contract then you can give him 1 week to leave.

Alex Watts :

Without a contract he has little protection.

Alex Watts :

However you would ideally give 2 weeks notice to be fair to allow him to find somewhere.

Alex Watts :

But given the difficulties then perhaps 1 week is enough

Alex Watts :

After this is he has failed to move out you can change the locks, but notify the Police in case there is trouble.

Alex Watts :

But if he is causing others trouble at work they could report it to the Police for harassment

Alex Watts :

But in law you only have to give a weeks notice if he pays weekly

Alex Watts :

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/

Customer:

Tthank you for your help. Very sorry for delayed response, been away for a few days, got back and pc seems to be on go-slow. Things seem to have cooled a bit here, but I think that is mainly due to me staying in my room out of the way when he is about. I don’t want him here any more, so where am I if I was to tell him that I want my lounge back or I am renovating to sell. Then if I advertised the room again would I be in any kind of legal trouble?

Alex Watts :

No you would not be

Alex Watts :

That would be ok