75100385

In 1962 two tennis courts, part of a garden and used as a private

In 1962 two tennis courts, part of a garden and used as a private tennis club, was sold to the members when the owner (and member) moved away. The club has been defunct for
many years and the courts are over grown, the netting fallen down ,all abandoned. The former owner wonders what the possibilities are of reclaiming the property? There may be
one or two former members still living, but an attempt to discover any club documents that would have recorded the legally drawn up sale have been negative, and the solicitor who
acted in the sale is dead. A search of his papers sent to the County archive has been fruitless.
The sale price in 1962 was £50.There is no road access, no services to the site except
water.
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : How long have you had access please?
Customer:

Hi, Alex, anyone can walk into the site, the fence is destroyed and it is alongside a public footpath.Is that what you wanted to know?

Alex Watts : That helps. In order to claim adverse possession you need to have fenced off the land, excluded all others and maintained it for 10 years,
Customer:

I'm still here, what can I do now?

Alex Watts : If others have access then the clock does not start ticking
Alex Watts : If they owned the land previously then unless it was sold they still do own the land.
Alex Watts : You can never lose the right unless it has been adversely possessed. This has not happened in this case.
Alex Watts : But the owners won't lose their right
Customer:

Thank you for that, should the land be registered if it were to be fenced?

Alex Watts : No.
Alex Watts : there would need to be an application to the owner(s) to register the land
Alex Watts : For this you can use a solicitor to make sure it is registered correctly.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer:

Thank you again,that was a help.

Alex Watts : Happy to help. If this answers your question might I invite you to rate my answer.
Alex Watts : If the system won't let you or you need more help please click reply.