How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Ash Your Own Question

Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

In 1962 two tennis courts, part of a garden and used as a private

Resolved Question:

In 1962 two tennis courts, part of a garden and used as a private tennis club, was sold to the members when the owner (and member) moved away. The club has been defunct for
many years and the courts are over grown, the netting fallen down ,all abandoned. The former owner wonders what the possibilities are of reclaiming the property? There may be
one or two former members still living, but an attempt to discover any club documents that would have recorded the legally drawn up sale have been negative, and the solicitor who
acted in the sale is dead. A search of his papers sent to the County archive has been fruitless.
The sale price in 1962 was £50.There is no road access, no services to the site except
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : How long have you had access please?

Hi, Alex, anyone can walk into the site, the fence is destroyed and it is alongside a public footpath.Is that what you wanted to know?

Alex Watts : That helps. In order to claim adverse possession you need to have fenced off the land, excluded all others and maintained it for 10 years,

I'm still here, what can I do now?

Alex Watts : If others have access then the clock does not start ticking
Alex Watts : If they owned the land previously then unless it was sold they still do own the land.
Alex Watts : You can never lose the right unless it has been adversely possessed. This has not happened in this case.
Alex Watts : But the owners won't lose their right

Thank you for that, should the land be registered if it were to be fenced?

Alex Watts : No.
Alex Watts : there would need to be an application to the owner(s) to register the land
Alex Watts : For this you can use a solicitor to make sure it is registered correctly.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Thank you again,that was a help.

Alex Watts : Happy to help. If this answers your question might I invite you to rate my answer.
Alex Watts : If the system won't let you or you need more help please click reply.
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice