12826847

Hi, We got married in Apr this year and hired a band to perform

Hi, We got married in Apr this year and hired a band to perform during the ceremony, for which we duly paid their full invoice. We have subsequently (July) received an invoice demand of £380 for damage to a microphone by a guest which they allege happened during their performance. We have disputed the invoice and stated that we accept no liability as we have no knowledge of the incident and were not informed of any issues during the actual event.
They claim that they have video footage of the individual concerned. We have offered to try and identify the individual and let the two parties deal direct with each other. However to-date they have not sent us the video footage and are now threatening us with court action if we do not pay.
My wife and I have done nothing for which we believe that we would be liable for and will fight this in court, if required to do so.
All contact to-date has been via email.
Would you be kind enough to offer some advice on the next step we should take, and how we should reply to their last email requesting our solicitor details to correspond with?
Best regards
Wayne
Have they refused to send the footage please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jo,

Below is the latest correspondence. We have offered to try and help but he now seems to be avoiding the subject pertaining to the video footage.

Hi Wayne,

Could you please let me know which solicitor you’d like us to direct the correspondence to?

Thanks in advance,

Kind Regards

BEN MARSHALL

Executive Director

Hello Ben,

I can confirm that we had not received any of the previous communications pertaining to this matter. If we had, we would have replied immediately, as was in this case.

We have no knowledge of the conversation that you say took place with the guest concerned with the alleged incident. However, please forward the video and we will to try and identify the individual for you.

For the avoidance of any doubt, if required, we will rigorously contest through the court, any accusation that we are liable for the alleged incident.

Best regards

Wayne

You are not liable for the actions of one of your guests.
You have already told them that you will defend their claim if they make one.
And, you have already told them that if they send you the video footage you will endeavour to identify the individual and if you can, you will pass contact details on.
There really is no more that you can do.
There are no magic wands that will make this go away but if they went to court they would lose.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Jo,

Thank you for your response.

One final question please. Is it advisable to respond to their last email where they requested the name of my solicitors, if so, what advice would you give for my response?

Wayne

It is probably a good idea to respond.
If you don't have solicitors then that is your answer.
They are very unlikely to sue.