12826847

I HAVE BEEN ACCUSED OF STOPPING MY MOTHER FROM GIVING LAND

Customer Question

I HAVE BEEN ACCUSED OF STOPPING MY MOTHER FROM GIVING LAND TO MY BROTHER AND MY SISTER HAS ACCUSED ME OF SENDING OUT NASTY LETTERS WHAT CAN I DO TO CLEAR MY NAME

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

my dad died and my brother went to solicitor to take over land and got mam to sign form and other member of family to sign mam rang me and said i had a form to sign before i signed i checked with family solicitor to see if mammy was left ok but my brother was talking over land and house and bank account and was just leaving mammy her day in house. he was bring his wife into hse. this is not what was agreed and the solicitor told me not to sign until he saw mammy he had not seen mammy before he sent out the forms this was all 20years ago and my brother turned the other family against me . when mam died 3 years ago he started the same thing again. he took the money in bank accoun even though it was not his. and then my other sister accused me of sending out letters about my neice husband even though i did not . my two sisters and brother were present when this happened and said whty would back me up to clear my name but changed their mind what can i do now

Your mother is free to transfer land to whoever she likes and she is also free to listen to what you say or not. If you manage to persuade your mother not to give a piece of land to your brother, there is very little he can do even if you are doing it now but, if it was 20 years ago, he has no chance whatsoever.

I suggest that you get a solicitor to write to your sister refuting the allegations and threatening her with a court application for an injunction to make her stop and to give you an apology and to pay you substantial legal cost.

A solicitors letter is likely to have more weight than a letter or telephone call from you.

If you think that she is harassing you, that is a police matter and you should refer it to the police.

In the UK mainland, you could rely on the Protection from Harassment Act although I do not know if there is a corresponding provision applicable in Northern Ireland, but nonetheless, it would be worthwhile threatening her with the police. Unfortunately, we do not have a NI expert on here.