12826847

British Gas Engineer caused a massive water leak in loft. requiring

British Gas Engineer caused a massive water leak in loft. requiring decoration to 4 rooms new ceiling boarding to three rooms. New carpets Bed etc. my wife had to move to our daughter. Ive lived in kitchen and single bedroom for three months until repair complete. Can I make any claim for injury and distress. I have been offered £500
What injury have you been caused?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Inconvenience Living in Kitchen and Small bedroom foir three month no easy chair of room to relax. My wife moved out to live with daughter. For the first month she burst into tears every time she visited. Was eventually placed on Anti depressants

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Reply provided

The Small Claims Court limit is £10,000, not £1000.
However because this is not for a fixed sum of money it may not be dealt with in the Small Claims Court.
It is a fixed sum for the repairs but for inconvenience and stress, that is a figure that would be decided by the court.
BG are liable to pay the total cost of the refurbishment and if you had moved out of the property because it was not habitable, they would be responsible for alternative accommodation. That would be easy to quantify but stress et cetera is very difficult which is where the problem lies.
You will find that loss adjusters simply try to reduce your claim in order to justify the fee that they are charging BG.
You need to decide how much you want in respect of the stress and inconvenience and tell them that. You also need to tell them and provide receipts for exactly what the repairs of cost you.