12826847

How may I challenge a contract whose terms I consider unfa

Customer Question

How may I challenge a contract whose terms I consider unfair?
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was awarded £6677.38 'redress' in respect of mis-sale of Payment Protection Insurance. I have been invoiced by the claims firm in the sum of £2,003.21 (described as 'fee at 30%, as per contract').

As it happens I don't recall either seeing or signing this contract, but the figure of 30% strikes me as grossly excessive.

If you did not sign anything, then you have no liability to pay this.
If you did sign something then a figure of between 25% and 33% is quite normal and enforceable.
Ask the company for a copy of the paperwork that you signed agreeing to pay their fee.
If they do not send it, and they take you to court, defended on the basis that you did not agree to pay this fee or any fee and did not agree for them to do the work.
If you did sign it, you have to pay the fee even though you may think it is high although you may be able to negotiate a smaller fee of perhaps £1000 because very often these companies would rather have the money in their pockets than risk going to court.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Jo C.

I have folllowed your advice and asked for a copy of the paperwork I allegedly signed in relation to this contract from the claims firm. I may have signed something many months ago, but have no recollection of this. If I did sign the contract, then I will have to pay the amount demanded, even if it is 'daylight robbery'. I would in any case never attempt not to pay them a fair rate, but even if you rate this lawyer's (or law firm's) rate at £250 an hour, I can't believe the achievement of the end result could have taken 8 hours' work!

Yours sincerely,

Clive Farley