12826847

Hi, despite a long and expensive legal battle with my ex-wife,

Customer Question

Hi, despite a long and expensive legal battle with my ex-wife, I was finally granted residency in Dec last year with a contact order. Her relationship with the kids has deteriorated because of the emotional abuse she subjects them too, and we have a further 2 day trial in Sept to amend the existing contact order. However the legal costs have mounted (£85k so far) and although I have just enough money left for the trial, that is it. My ex-wife is doing everything she can to keep fighting with me, making all sorts of other applications such as decisions on schooling, anti-molestation, Schedule 1 application for costs etc. The irony is, for the Schedule 1 application, I could not afford representation, she could, yet the judge made an award on her behalf. My question is this - she continues to use a non-qualified solicitor to write to my solicitor with letter after letter. My solicitor keeps sending these to me (as I believe they have to do), thereby increasing my legal costs. I cannot afford spousal maintenance since being made redundant last year and even though I have not instructed my solicitor on this matter (they are only instructed around the issue of children's contact), my ex-wife legal advisors are sending extremely aggressive (and inaccurate) letters to my solicitors. Am I under a duty to correspond with these non-solicitors? Can I instruct my solicitors to simply delete all correspondence from them? I am very concerned as this company now has a mass of extremely personal information about my children and me and they are not governed by any code of practice. Any advice on how to deal with these people would be very much appreciated.
For clarity - the letters you are complaining about are NOT to do with the children?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Clare, they are sending me letters regarding ongoing contact arrangements with the children but I have been corresponding with my ex-wife directly on these. Whilst these are frustrating because they make accusations, demands for replies, I keep replies child focused.

The more aggressive ones are to do with other matters, and recently the issue of spousal maintenance and these are the ones I can't afford representation to help me - my solicitor has quoted fees that I simply cannot afford. It's clear my ex just wants to fight - for example I offered to try to settle her Schedule 1 application before it went to court for £2750 but she (and these lay advisors) refused to even reply to my offer until the last minute, refusing the offer, filing information late etc and was awarded £2000 at the hearing.

Does that answer your question?

Many thanks for your help

Steve

When you say they are lay people - what kind of organisation is it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Their website is www.maximlegal.co.uk and I have pasted an extract from their website below. The reality is they are a one man band that operates from a 2 bed house in London, with no legal qualifications and no code of conduct and therefore free to operate as they wish. It seems bizarre that anyone can set themselves up in this way and be given access to very personal (in my case very private issues relating to the children and my private financial situation) information being discussed in court.

Maxim is a firm of experienced commercial experts who provide legal and commercial guidance and assistance to individuals and corporate clients.

Our legal expertise is wide-ranging and covers areas such as litigation, debt, contract law, tort, divorce & family law and employment law (acting for both employers and employees). We are not a firm of solicitors but in most cases we can manage your issues from start to finish, including representation and assistance at Court or in the Tribunal. In cases where it is necessary to instruct formal representation we can help our clients to select the right solicitors or barristers specialising in the relevant field.

Our aim is to provide a fast, efficient and friendly service at a fraction of the cost of conventional legal advice by working harder for you and charging less

What has the Court said about this?