Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I recently submitted an application for a PhD place which comprised

I recently submitted an application for a PhD place which comprised a research proposal on their proposed topic as well as my ideas on possible other avenues of research. I wasn't successful in my application and am wondering whether the ideas I detailed at the end of the proposal, which were not specifically linked to that project but were meant to show my interest and suitability to research in that area, can be used to apply to a different university or does the university now 'own' them?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
Ideas alone are not covered by any form of Intellectual Property protection in this country.
It is the expression of that idea that is protected. That means that you have to turn the idea into something tangible before it becomes property that can be owned for example a written research paper. Depending on what the university's terms and conditions are, your application maybe owned by them in copy right. That does not mean you cannot write a new application expressing similar ideas to a new university.
I look forward to hearing from you.
AJ