Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I am waiting for a £12000 insurance claim to be settled by

I am waiting for a £12000 insurance claim to be settled by Ocaso for repairs to a rented property following water damage. I am the leaseholder and Hackney Housing owns the freehold and is responsible for the buildings insurance. Davies Chartered Loss Adjusters told me over the phone that I would receive the payment before the end of June and it is now august. When I call Ocaso I get passed back to the loss adjusters who now tell me that there is nothing they can do to expedite payment or to clarify the delay. Can I pursue this matter through the courts or should I use the ombusdman service? Can I withhold payments due to Hackney Council in relation to the property as they are responsible for providing the insurance cover?
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
Firstly I would not under any circumstances with hold payments due to the council. This could affect future insurance cover and they may seek to recover the money from you in a county court claim. Unfortunately there is very little the council can do to help you as the matter is now the insurers responsibility.
Secondly this is a financial service and Financial Ombudsman Service was set up for complaints of this nature. What you must do is make a written complaint to the insurer and find out exactly what has caused the delay. Once you have exhausted a written complaint avenue and if you do not receive a satisfactory response, then you can complain to the FoS. www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/
They are able to order payment of compensation if you have been unfairly treated.
I look forward to hearing from you.
AJ