UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

given conflicting information from Embassy of Ireland

Given conflicting information from Embassy of Ireland and England Passport Services. As the Director of a registered company could I certify identity of someone known to me for 22 years for an Irish passport. Have done this on a number of occasions for employees of my company (UK) with no problem. I have now been told by England Passport Services I could and then received a reply to an e-mail that I couldn't unless I was an Accountant?!

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
Members of the following professions may witness Irish passport applications anywhere in the world
Police officer
Member of clergy
Medical doctor
Bank manager/assistant bank manager
Elected public representative
Notary public/commissioner for oaths
Peace commissioner
School principal/vice principal
Accountant
If you are not a member of any of the above professions, you cannot witness an Irish passport application.
Further details here
https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/top-passport-questions/how-to-get-your-application-witnessed/
May I help further?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Post Office official is not on your list - is on mine! but also cannot understand the discrepancy - I have completed the form and confirmed on back of photos due to info saying yes by telephone from passport office - only had doubts when I received e-mail from passport office saying no! am I going to put this lady (83) in strife if we carry on with her application?

My list is from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. They may have changed the list recently.
To be on the safe side, the applicant should be advised to get her form and photos witnessed by someone from the DFA list.
All the best