How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3670
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

im on benefit & debt up to eyeballs .awaiting car acc personal

Customer Question

im on benefit & debt up to eyeballs .awaiting car acc personal compo.would that be taken from me against my debt?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
As long as your creditors do not have security i.e a charge over your bank accounts and you have not been made bankrupt or put into any insolvency or debt management scheme, then you will be able to retain control of this money.
If you go bankrupt then the official receiver or trustee in bankruptcy will take control of these affairs, and you will have to probably explain what happened to this money if it is not used to pay creditors.
I would also be careful to ensure that the money is not paid into an overdrawn account because the bank may not then let you withdraw it.
Can I assist any further?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i dont know wen pay out will be /for persoal injury/by this time i may not hav bank acc can i hav cheque made to cash in some other way.this will be the only money i hav coming in to try and relocate &start there a way round debt was in good faith i didnt expect to be shafted by buis partner nothn on paper just trust for five years.also as a result of this i am homeless under mental health.another question?im under dorset county council.t

stayn with a man friend ,which is very awkward as he wants more,and coucil say im adequatly housed well obviously im not.i was born in west dorset in housing with them untill age 14 then under wey &port for 30 yrs &became homeless in west dorset in nov13 they say no local connection

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you.
The money can be paid to a local solicitor and worst comes to the worst do you have a friend whose bank you can pay the money into.
It is up to the insurers whether they will pay you in cash.
Have you appealed the council's decision?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

how would you appeal ?i hav always been a strong person & done things for myself but this just floored me.everywehere i turn i hit a brick wall.mental health ect dont seem to help and i dnt who or where to go to get help.also only havn esa benefit money can barely afford to live.what do u advise of who & where to go plz.

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you.
This is a Government site to help you appeal.
I would not let the financial side worry you too much, I appreciate this is a difficult situation, but if you really have no means or assets then the worst case scenario is you will be made bankrupt and can rebuild with a clean slate after one year.
Bankruptcy will not effect the benefits you receive. If you are currently unwell, then it is far more important to take care of your health than make it worse worrying about your financial situation.
Is there anything else you would like to discuss.
Kind regards