31090051

Hi there Ive owned a property for 18years in Aberdeen and

Customer Question

Hi there I've owned a property for 18years in Aberdeen and bought it with as I was told at the time sole owner ship of a landing cupboard. I had this cupboard plumbed for my washing machine and electric put in. I've used this cupboard ever day for the last 18years for my washing machine and other bits. Ivve paid no rent to anyone else for this cupboard.
Now a neighbour is saying she owns half the cupboard and wants access to it as she is selling up. What can I do? Is there not an old law about useing a prorarty or land without paying rent for ex amount of years and it becomes yours?
Kind regards ***** *****
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
There is no law in Scotland which confers ownership of heritable property simply by possession alone. Possession fr 10 years AND a title are both required.
Your own title will have to be examined, as will that of your neighbour to ascertain whether there is shared ownership or online whether it's owned by you alone. If you bought the property after 1 April 1996 I may be able to look at the title for you as it will be on the Land Register if you can give me the title number.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.