12826847

I received a visit from a TV licence officer saying that I

Customer Question

I received a visit from a TV licence officer saying that I did not have a licence.
I replied that I had completed the on-line form but had not received a licence. He replied that many other people had the same problem. Anyway I agreed to pay what I owed and set up a new DD there and then and I have not missed a payment since.
I then asked him if there was anything that I needed to do. He replied no everything is now ok.
I was unaware that I did not have a licence until this visit.
I now have to go to court for not having licence when he visited but I did get the payments up to date immediately.
How shall I plead. thanks.
Were you aware that the online payment had failed please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My wife has my card out shopping so I may have got a figure wrong.i,ll try and phone her now
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The payment has just gone through I think.

Ok.
But at the time of the visit you had not even attempted to make an online payment?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I didn't know that I was expected to pay immediately so it took me a while to gather my thoughts but I paid as soon as I could.
Yes, but at the time of the visit you were watching TV without a licence?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes,,but I thought that I had paid it online.the TV officer admitted that 100'sof people made the same mistake.
You will find the offence here
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2003/21/section/363
and it is still in force despite MPs' talk of decriminalising it.
Unfortunately it is an offence of strict liability. You either had a licence or you didn't. There is no defence in saying that you thought you did.
You can ask them to review the public interest of the prosecution with the points above in mind. If you have always maintained a TV licence previously and this was just a lapse which you quickly corrected then they might drop it.
Otherwise though, you would have no option but to plead guilty I'm afraid.
I'm very sorry but thats your position.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So just plead guilty and have done with it?
You can ask them to review the public interest of the prosecution with the points above in mind. If you have always maintained a TV licence previously and this was just a lapse which you quickly corrected then they might drop it. I would look into this first.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok thanks
No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/