How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Alice H Your Own Question

Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2849
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

About a year ago I sent a topless photo of myself via the app

Customer Question

About a year ago I sent a topless photo of myself via the app Snapchat. The man I sent the photo to screenshotted the image and is now threatening to post the picture of me online.
We used to have an online relationship but on occasions he became very abusive and I didn't like the way he spoke to me. The threat came right after I told him I wanted him to leave me alone and that I didn't want to have sex with him. In an attempt to scare me, he changed his display photo on the instant message app "Whatsapp" to the topless photo of me and said: "you'd better pipe down because as I have this, I will always win".
This photo could be detrimental to my career and I don't know who he might send this to or where he might post it. Is there any legal action I can take?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
My name is Alex Hughes and I'm happy to help with your question today.

Have you reported this to the police?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No i have not, I chose to send the photo myself

Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.

His actions are likely to amount to harassment for which you can take action under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.

Harassment is where a person pursues a course of conduct which causes alarm or distress to another.

Even if he has not committed the criminal offence of harassment, you could still obtain a restraining order against him to stop him from using that photo and from distributing it.

The quickest way to get something done is to report his behaviour to police. They will contact him and give him a warning and tell him to remove the photo.

If he refuses he could be prosecuted. If you don't want to go to the police you could get a solicitor to get the restraining order for you (rather than do it yourself).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Would it be feasible to have a solicitor write him a legal letter telling him he will be prosecuted if he distributes this photo or if he contacts me again? If so how would I go about this and could you recommend anyone I can contact?

Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
Yes that would usually be the first step before legal action anyway.

I can't recommend people via this site but if you call the Law Society on 0207 242 1222 they will give you a list of solicitors in your area who could help.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Would I need to provide our previous conversations as evidence?

Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
You should gather as much evidence and information about the history of this matter as you can. This will give the solicitor a complete picture of the background in order to put the matter in context for the letter and restraining order (if needed).

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions