12826847

A person has accused my company of stealing money from his

A person has accused my company of stealing money from his person. He claims to have reported this to the police but in the meanwhile I have evidence that he is being vocal in the local community about the integrity of my organisation per se despite the company not receiving contact from the local constabulary.
Is this slander and what can I do about this?
To whom has he said this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Jo,
This has been said to several members of staff by the person in public. This is obviously not a wise thing for the person to do as should there be an investigation by the police, members of staff would be suspects.
Does this help?
Jason
Can you show that any members of public have heard?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I believe so, as in both instances they were in a public place. In one case the manager of a retail store and other members of the public were clearly listening.
It is potentially a defamation. It really depends. He is not under an obligation not to speak about this just because there may be a police investigation under way. He remains free to make this allegation if it is either true or a 'fair comment' which is only a reasonable comment in all the circumstances.
If the allegation is entirely without basis then it would be a defamation and he could be sued upon that.
One option is to get a solicitor to write to him warning him of the laws of defamation. That is more economical than a full scale action, doesn't carry the risks of him defending on the basis of fair comment and also often has the desired effect of causing a person to maintain a dignified silence.