How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Alex J. Your Own Question

Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3612
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

Corporation tax query. I was a company secretary with 2

Resolved Question:

Corporation tax query.
I was a company secretary with 2 shares in a ltd company.
It was a business that was set up with my husband, I resigned from the post of company secretary on 31/10/13.
I am also separated from my husband.
He has said the corporation tax is due and said "Sorry to tell you but as joint director of the last business tax year, you are responsible for half of the 12,500 tax bill. I have paid 6,500 and so you will be responsible for 6000.00 I have let the tax office know but you will not be included in this years."
Could you please tell me if I should pay the £6000.00 he is asking me to pay for 01/1/12-31/10/13?
thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I am a company law expert
As company secretary the only way you can be personally liable for a company's debts is if:
1. You personally guaranteed them;
2. The company is insolvent and you were in fact acting as a de factor director having knowingly traded the company while insolvent;
3. If you had taken some of the company's property to the detriment of the creditors; or
4. You sign some shareholders agreement agreeing to accept liability for these debts.
On the face of it and all things being equal, the company secretary is just an administrative role and will not be liable for the company debts.
Assuming you are not liable as I have outlined about I would write to your husband and say to him that it is a criminal offence to pursue someone for money they do not actually owe under S.40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970. This is the company's liability not yours personally.
Kind regards
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3612
Experience: Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Alex J. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Alex

Sorry I was at work and got busy, I have informed my husband that I was not liable.

He replied by saying "as company secretary you have obligations. However you were a director as you were taking dividends based on this. If not then the tax bill will be higher as you were receiving money fraudulently."

I never actually received dividends they were all paid to my husband, but was receiving wages of £800.00/month.

He then said "I was trying to keep things simple and clean. I will advise the tax office of everything we have discussed and they can come directly to you."

I don't know what to do next?



What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice