tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

We have a horse in half shares. We need to get it to a vets

Customer Question

We have a horse in half shares. We need to get it to a vets for a second opinion.The other half owner where the horse is stabled wont let it off the yard with us. How do we stand?
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 2 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, thanks for your question.

tdlawyer :

My name is tony, I can answer your question.

tdlawyer :

A horse is treated under law as "property", which means it's the same in the eyes of the law as a TV or a Sofa or something like that.

tdlawyer :

So the normal rules apply, that either joint owner of something can do with it as they please.

tdlawyer :

So in theory you're entitled to remove it and take it to the vet if you wish, without the consent of the other owner. It is yours as much as his/hers.

JACUSTOMER-skl8wpoh- :

So we can turn up and remove the horse? He wont let it go as he thinks we need to pay him out of the deal as the horse has an old injury. We get an second opinion on this injury he is stating. We think he is just saying this to get out of the agreement.

tdlawyer :

Yes, if you both legally own it half each then yes, you can do as you like with is.

tdlawyer :

it..

JACUSTOMER-skl8wpoh- :

Is there anything legally need to say or be aware of?

JACUSTOMER-skl8wpoh- :

Legally the horseisin our name. It was a gentlemenas agreement between us and them. We purchased the horse and they are training it.

tdlawyer :

If it's in your name only, with a "gentlemans agreement" then you have even more right becuase legal title is vested in you only.

tdlawyer :

There is no one legal principle here at play, so there is no one thing to quote to you - the position is simply that you own it and will do as you need to with it.

JACUSTOMER-skl8wpoh- :

Do you have any further advise for us?

tdlawyer :

No, but if there is anything you wish to ask later on, then you're welcome to come back and do so.

tdlawyer :

Can I just check you're happy with the service so far please?

JACUSTOMER-skl8wpoh- :

would there be any document we could turn up with? Or should we contact the police if we have any further problems?

tdlawyer :

Do you have proof of purchase from the seller?

JACUSTOMER-skl8wpoh- :

Not to hand at the moment I think it is with the accountant. We have the paper work saying she is registered to us with the british show jumping society

tdlawyer :

That's useful, but the doc with your accountant would be even more useful, but truth is, you'll only need it if there is a problem later on. For now, if you're satisfied it's your horse, you can do as you wish with it.

JACUSTOMER-skl8wpoh- :

Ok Thank you for your assistance. We are happy with that.

tdlawyer :

Thank you! Have yourself a great weekend and good luck sorthing this quickly!

tdlawyer :

Please remember to rate the answer for me to end that chat - thank you!