12826847

I hadnt paid my tv lisence and when they came to my door I

Customer Question

I hadn't paid my tv lisence and when they came to my door I panicked and gave a fake name, I also failed to pay it in this fake name and subsequently have a court summons for someone who I have made up, I really don't know what to do.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

I'm not sure I can give you good news really. Either way there are risks.

The right thing to do would be to attend court and explain. You have committed much more serious offences than the TV licence matter but the chances that the court would recommend any action are very low. These people are not police officers so they cannot charge you with obstructing a police officer.

If you don't attend then the conviction will be issued in the false name which might seem like a good deal at the moment but the risks are that they will eventually catch up with you and then the chances of a serious offence being prosecuted are higher.

If you do attend and do not correct the court then the same thing applies. The conviction will be recorded in the false name but the chances they would not catch up with you long term are low and its not ethical.

I'm sorry but thats your position I'm afraid.