31090051

Hello! I wanted to know if a copyright is held on the phrase

Hello!
I wanted to know if a copyright is held on the phrase 'Chop chop, busy busy, work work, bang bang.
It was used in a 70's ad & uploaded by Sparkle Telecom.
Andy Goodman
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
Copyright in an advertising slogan used to be thought of as a theoretical possibility but more normally they were registered as trademarks if it was thought that they held value.
Recent authority has changed this, however, and the court has held in a case called Infopaq that newspaper headlines could be subject to copyright. It is thought that this could also be the case with an advertising slogan if it is sufficiently original and can demonstrate an element of intellectual creation.
Copyright is of course not something that is registered, unlike a trademark. It just exists and the author has the right to pursue for any breach. In the EU short slogans now could qualify based on recent case law. Note that in the US they do not.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello JGM.

Many thanks for your answer!

This confirms my doubts about using aforementioned strapline for a future project (Unless I tried to obtain permission from the owner). But I think l'll leave this altogether and try a different creative approach.

Kindest regards

Andy

Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. Don't forget to rate my answer so that I am credited for my time.