Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

Does the NHS cover the hospitalization and medical treatments

Does the NHS cover the hospitalization and medical treatments costs of citizens living retired and living abroad in the EU?
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
Alex Hughes : My name is***** and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.
Alex Hughes : Have you permanently moved abroad?
Customer:

Yes in 2003

Alex Hughes : The NHS is a residence based service which means that treatment is available to those persons present in the UK. As an ex-patriate you have to register for medical services in the country of residence and seek assistance through their equivalent of the NHS or medical insurance. In short the NHS will not pay for citizens who have moved abroad even if they're still resident in the EU.