UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience

Applying for UK naturalisation question.Will my application

Customer Question

Applying for UK naturalisation question.
Dear Sir,
Will my application be affected by a drunk and disorderly fixed penalty notice which has been paid on time? It has happened less than a year ago and the police were extra nice and assured me that as long as I pay the 90£ fine it won't be an issue for my citizenship process. Do I need to mention that it happened at all in my naturalisation application? It is only one and everywhere I have looked said that just 1 fpn wouldn't be used as reason to deny the application. Would it still come up when the immigration service does my background check? Could it be taken as an evidence of bad character if i don't write it on the form but it comes up on the background check? Obviously I would prefer not to mention it.
Best regards
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.

As long as you only have that one fixed penalty notice issued in the last 12 months, you may apply for naturalisation now as the fixed penalty notice will not be counted against you.

However, you must declare it on your application form.

May I help further?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your help. What happens if I don't declare it? A company is aiding my application for visa but for personal reason I rather they didn't know that this has happened to me. They may have already sent off the form without mentioning it. What should I expect? Is it possible that this event won't come up in the background check? I had my fingerprints taken but they said it would only stay in their local police database. Even if it does and it hasn't been noted in the application form would that lead to rejection of the application?
You should have declared it as this is a requirement mentioned in the application form and your application may be rejected if you knowingly failed to declare it even though it would not be held against you.

Hope this clarifies
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for this clarification. How specific in describing it should I be? Do I have to say it was for being drunk and disorderly or could I just say that I I received a fixed penalty notice. Should I add reasons excusing my actions? Do I have to write down exact date it happened or whether I had to get taken in police station?

You should state when the fixed penalty notice was issued, what it was issued for and the fact that you paid it off.

Please leave feedback
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am very afraid that saying that I had this incident could cast a negative shadow on my application overall and would be used as evidence of bad character and could be used as an excuse to reject it. Could that be the case or is it certain that just 1 fpn will not do this no matter what? So would I just say I was given it for being drunk and disorderly or should I explain the situation further and say what the circumstances of incident were? Sorry about being a bit overbearing but I am seeing my lawyers in a few hours and would really like to know how to present this in the best light

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Could I say I was just given an on the spot fine or would they know if I have had to spend some time in the cell?
You just need to mention that you received a fixed penalty notice.

All the best