Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

Hi. I have been stopped for speeding and given a ticket which

Hi. I have been stopped for speeding and given a ticket which hasn't been signed or had the officers number put on it. I would I defend the claim of speeding?
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
My name is***** and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.
- Do you deny speeding?
- Do you have a clean licence?
- What speed is alleged and in what zone?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I cannot be sure I was doing the alleged speed which was reported as 48 in a 30. The officer concerned was sitting in a car in a 40 limit and said I was doing the speed in the 30. I find it hard to believe I was doing that speed as I had just come through a junction with traffic lights

I have a clean licence

48 in a 30

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
You can certainly contest the officers evidence of the speed although it would be difficult to do so if the speed was recorded using an approved device e.g. speed gun.
However, your main contention seems to be with the paperwork. I have to tell you that it will be virtually impossible to persuade the courts that the lack of the officers name and number is ***** such importance that you should not be prosecuted for this offence.
These minor technicalities, which have been argued and lost in the High Court, are rarely sufficient for a case to be dismissed these days. Based on over 20 years of dealing with motoring offences I can tell you that a court will not be impressed by this argument; you can run it but to put it bluntly the argument will fail.
48 mph in a 30 mph zone will attract 4 - 6 points or a short disqualification. As such, even though you have a clean licence, a prosecution is inevitable and the matter will have to go to court rather than a fixed penalty.
I appreciate this is not the answer you were looking for but as a solicitor I have to give you an honest and objective opinion of the law.