Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

is a security camera allowed to scan my kitchen and through

is a security camera allowed to scan my kitchen and through my back door and down my garden watching my every move
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Alex Hughes : My name is***** and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.
Alex Hughes : Where is the camera installed and by whom?
Customer:

on nextdoors property under a low roof

Alex Hughes : Do you know why it's been installed? Have they been burgled?
Customer:

on next doors property under low roof

Alex Hughes : I understand. But why have they installed it? Have they been burgled?
Customer:

no it seem it is there just to watch our movements

Alex Hughes : Your neighbour is entitled to install cameras to protect their property, deter criminals and for general safety purposes. The cameras should be installed in such a way that they point at their own property, entrances, driveways etc. What they should not do is install cameras for the sole purpose of spying on you. If this is their aim then you could take legal action for nuisance but you would have to prove that there is some form of spying going on. The mere fact that a camera has been installed is not enough evidence. Unfortunately the Data Protection Act and Human Rights Act do not help because your neighbour is a private person. So your only recourse is under the civil law for private nuisance. You should speak to your neighbour first about your concerns, if that doesn't work you can ask a solicitor to send them a letter and if that fails you could take legal action but this should be your last resort.