Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

Can you please advise me The family had a dispute when my

Can you please advise me
The family had a dispute when my father died some 9 years ago and my mother requested us all to sign over our rights to the family home. She then made out a will to say everything should go to my young sister apart from my 2.39% interest in the house. I am on the land registration documents as owning this percentage of the property.
When I mother died I was paid £4,780 as my interest in the property.
I have now received a letter from a solicitor which has informed me that I am still on the Land Registry of this property and would I confirm that I will sign that I have no ongoing interest in the property.
Do I have to do this or can I refuse.
Carole Wellby
01268 560005
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
On the basis that you received and cashed the sum of £4,780 representing your percentage share of the property when your Mother died, you should of course signed the necessary paperwork at that time.
Why this wasn't done, I don't know, but if you were to refuse to sign the paperwork now, and Court action had to be taken to have your name removed I'm afraid you would have no defence and costs would be awarded against you, on the grounds that you have received the consideration (£4,780).
You would therefore just be delaying the inevitable if you were not willing to sign the paperwork now.
I am sorry this isn't the answer you were looking for, but sets out the legal position.
Kind Regards
AL