Can you ask for the names of the magistrates who judged your

Customer Question

Can you ask for the names of the magistrates who judged your case

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My trial was halted because I became ill and had to be taken to hospital. It was rescheduled and in the meantime I redid my closing statement and did a stay of proceedings with the help of one of your advisers. When re-attending only two of the previous magistrates were on the bench, they completely threw the stay of proceedings out, would not listen to my revised final statement even though I was ill when I initially did it - I was defending myself and the doctor had written a letter to the magistrates at the first trial explaining that I was not well. At this concluding trial the magistrate said that they had made a decision at the previous non completed trial and were sticking to that. They did not seem to understand the various acts named in the stay of proceedings and made the judgement based on the previous unfinished trial. At the end of sentencing they said that all four of my dogs were to be destroyed and both myself and my husband just went to pieces It was so traumatic and we were devastated as two of our dogs had not been under a control order anyway. We have made a complaint against the PC who told the witnesses about a previous conviction which had influenced witnesses in the witness box but they would not listen. We tried to speak but he would not allow us to and just said that it was his decision, picked up his papers and left. I was in a complete state of shock because I knew his decision was wrong. Because we were so angry we were removed from the court room and not allowed back into the courthourse. After an hour and filling an appeal form on the steps outside the courthouse I was asked to return to court. 2 different magistrates were on the bench and informed me that a mistake ha been made and the two small dogs were not be destroyed. Howcan such a devastating mistake be made and no apology for the anguish it had caused two elderly people. the magistrate seemd to have very little understanding of the laws before him and ha to ask the clerk ofthe court about a number of points..

I would like to know the name of the magistrate so that I can makea complaint against him, ask for a apology and some form of compensation for the extreme distress and anguish he had caused.

Sorry about a few spelling mistakes but difficult to give you a full account of the problem.

You are entitled to ask for the names. Its a matter of public record. they will probably want to know the details of your reason but, in the long run, they would have to comply.

You just write to the court for that information. Its surprising that they wouldn't give it to you on the day.

You don't actually need the names of the Magistrates to submit a complaint. They will trace who was sitting easily enough.

However, it would be irresponsible of me not to mention this. A stay in proceedsing would have brought the entire proceedings to an end. That did not happen here. All that happened here is that they decided not to destroy your dogs. The sentencing otherwise proceeded. The reason for that is that the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 is a very badly worded piece of legislation that doesn't come up very regularly so Magistrates are regularly confused by it.

Also, Magistrates always ask clerks for advice. Magistrates are just lay people. The clerk is there to advise them.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It was difficult to explain the exact details to you but you have helped by letting me know that I can have the magistrates names.

If I need more help I will come back to you.

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am a bit disappointed that you just accept that the magistrates are just lay people and do not know the law. It makes it very difficult to accept their decision when it us so wrong and causes so much upset and they have to amend their decision within an hour after causing deep distress. We still have two of our dogs on a destruction order and they only stopped the order on the two terriers. I will never have faith in magistrates and I believe that everybody should be aware of their inability to know the law even though they are given such powers to pass sentencing.

I don't think anybody disputes that Magistrates are lay people who do not know the law and rely on the clerk. That is the truth.

The truth here is that you really should have had a solicitor who would have probably avoided all of the destruction orders. Its never a good idea to self represent.

You can always appeal.

I'm happy to continue with this but please remember to leave feedback for my answer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Please can you let me know if it was correct that I had to pay a further 47 for this question when I had already paid 47 this month for my previous question.

I am appealing and hoping to have a good solicitor who knows about dogs to help me.

Thanks. I'm just travelling at the moment. Please bear with me and I will respond as soon as possible.

I'm not sure what you mean?