75100385

Please can you give me some advice, I gave my dog up to the

Customer Question

Please can you give me some advice, I gave my dog up to the Scottish Staffordshire bull terrier rescue 20 days ago, I am getting married and moving abroad, then I had a back injury and needed surgery and he needed foster care earlier than expected. Yesterday I told them that my circumstances had changed and would pay all and any costs incurred and would like my dog back. They told me he has a new home now with one of their volunteers. I was told only last Wednesday that the CHAIR PERSON of this committee was considering keeping him, then told on Saturday about this volunteer's interest in him. I was also told that there was a strict code when placing people's pets into new homes. My dog unlike others is still on their website under available staffies, other dogs are clearly listed as on home trial. I have told them they are not following the procedures that they said would be carried out, I have asked for further information for legal reasons, they are now stonewalling me, telling me my texts will be forwarded to their committee, who include the woman who has been looking after my dog up until the last few days, and also happens to be the CHAIR PERSON ON THIS COMMITTEE!!!. I have told them that the best place for my dog who is 8 yrs old and I have had since he was five weeks old, is with me, and not with a stranger with which he has no bond at all with. I feel I have been lied to and there's is a strong case of conflict of interest on the part of this committee, please can you help advise what to do next. This is literally breaking my heart. Yours sincerely. Arlene Cook email *****@******.***. Phone number ***********
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

Did you sign any contract with them please?

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You asked me if I signed anything Alex, I did, but I don't know what it was? , I wasn't given a copy and did not read any of it as I was so distressed that day. I have 3 witness's to verify this.
What does the contract say about changing your mind please?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know if it says anything about this Alex, as I explained I was in a high rate of distress and did not read it. I could not even see it without my glasses on, as I was crying too much.
Ok - it really will depend on the contract. You need to ask for a copy of that document. Just because you did not get a copy does not make it invalid, not does the fact you did not read it.

If you knew that it was a contract to sign your beloved pet over then the law says you should read it.

Therefore ask for a copy and see what it says. If the contract says you have a cooling off period and you are within it, then you can ask for your pet back.

If the contract does NOT have a cancellation period then sadly you can not.

So ask for a copy and you can see where you stand.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If I can prove by way of a psychologist's report, that I was not in a fit state of mind at the time to sign anything, will that count?.
If you are saying you did not have capacity under the Mental Health Act then yes.