How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Right of Access

Resolved Question:

We live in a staggered terraced block with a continuous right of access backing onto each individual property. The houses are mid 1960's built and we have lived here for 35 yrs. Over a period of time new residents have built over it and consequently some areas have become blocked. We now wish to sell our property and wish to know our legal position regarding this as we have always kept our section clear as have our immediate neighbours.

Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

An easement cannot lapse, but it can be abandoned. There needs to be clear evidence of an intention to abandon. In some cases there will be no doubt about an intention to abandon.

Alex Watts :

If it is built over it is abandoned

Alex Watts :

There has to be an unequivocal act clearly indicating an intention to abandon. Putting up a fence or allowing a hedge to grow is not enough. However redevelopment involving putting up permanent buildings that make exercise of the right impossible will be enough. Allowing your neighbour to block the right is not enough, though if the obstruction is sufficiently permanent the court may decline to award an injunction and award damages.

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you