Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

If you bid for a house by sealed tender and the seller does

If you bid for a house by sealed tender and the seller does not accept any of the offers, if we offer more money is it still a tender bid so we have to pay estate agent fees or do they now?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
Could you please clarify the position a bit more, as it is only the Seller who is responsible for any Estate Agents fees?
I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind Regards
AL
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry we have had a bid declined by informal sealed bid, the estate agent has asked us now if we want to offer more money to the seller? We will but who has to pay the estate agent fees now, as when it was being sold by sealed tender had to pay estate agent fees.
Thanks for your reply.
As you will be making a bid in the usual way, the Seller will be responsible for their Estate Agents fees.
(I must say, it would also be normal for a Seller to pay the Agents fees in any sealed bid process, but it is really up to the Seller as to whether it is worth their while insisting on this, bearing in mind it may deter potential Purchasers).
I hope this assists.
Kind Regards
AL
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So do we still have to adhere to the terms and conditions of the tender contract, now all bids have been opened and declined?
No you don't. As the Agent has asked you to make a separate "larger" offer, you are not bound by the terms of the sealed bid process.
Kind Regards
AL