13262538

My husband and I separated 9 years ago. He went to live in

My husband and I separated 9 years ago. He went to live in France. 8 years ago he had a stroke and has now found himself in a retirement home over there. He has recently asked to come back to the UK. I am still legally married to him but will never be together with him . I have 2 questions. Is there any organisation that could help him return to a retirement home in England, and am I likely to be in any way liable for him by the french authorities or even ours?
I would value your help
***** *****ndsay
What is the financial position of each of you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Clare

I have no idea how his finances are after having to spend money on medical care in France.

I do own my home and have some savings, which I need to supplement my small pension. I do not want to get involved with the social services in France, who have control of his finances. They would obviously like me to take control and organise for him to come here because they could relinquish their responsibility for him. His daughter has contacted age concern who didnt help.A couple of years ago I was told by a solicitor that it could cost me thousands of pounds to divorce him.I feel sorry for his situation but the marriage ended 9 years ago. I said I would enquire for some organisation who may be able to help him return, but as he has been out of the country for so long, there is no particular area to enquire with. My feeling is that it will not be possible, and I am worried that I could be responsible for him in France.

Any information would be helpful

***** *****ndsay.

Where does his daughter live?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Clare

She lives in Australia. He has a son in England who wants nothing to do with him.

Chris

Does the daughter have any knowledge of his finances?
Which area would he wish to return to?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Clare

None of us know about his finances since the social services took over after his stroke 8 years ago. He has been in different hospitals for about a year which must have been costly. He does have good pensions and originally had around 100,000 euros as inheritance when his mother died. He also has a home which I believe is in a state of disrepair, as he was living at home, with the social paying his bills, but wasn't taking care of himself. Hence an accident happened in his home and the mayor declared it unfit for habitation, and he was taken into care.

Before leaving the country we both owned and ran a country pub in Oxfordshire, and this is where he was last registered with the NHS. He has said he doesn't mind where he lives, he just wants to have people to talk to.

Chris

Is his daughter willing to come over to deal with the move?
Was he ever in the armed services?
Did he work for a large company at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Clare

No he was never in the armed services and he did work for Sunblest bakery as hygiene manager for a few years.

I doubt that his daughter would come over.

Chris

Any links with religious or other institutions?
What mental capacity does he have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Clare

No he doesn't have any religious links.

He has been affected mentally but I don't know how much. I have spoken to him on the phone and I struggle to understand him.

His speech is badly affected.

Chris

HI
There are no Charities or Organisations that I know of that can assist in these circumstances.
In general terms other than the simple logistic problems there are no great problems involved.
It is a matter of identifying a Nursing Home that can cope with his needs and that he can afford
Then he needs to be moved there and local Social Services need to complete a financial assessment and take over the control of his finances
It ought to be possible for his daughter to co-ordinate most of this from her home.
There is no requirement on you to do this - and if he does come to the UK then you are not financially responsible for him in any way.
So far as I am aware you are not liable for his costs in France despite your marriage - but you may wish to raise this with one of our French Law specialists
Please ask if you need further details
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.