UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My wife and I are divorcing we have two horses whilst together,

My wife and I are divorcing we have two horses whilst together, the passports are in my wifes name have I any rights to them financially.She says she is going to put them in her parents name as owners. She will get housing benefit but says she will say they are paying for the horses feed etc:
It's likely she will then declare herself bankrupt, lots to answer but it's worring me as she is not thinking straight.................Richard
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
The usual starting point for splitting matrimonial assets is 50/50, it does not matter whose name the assets are in, so yes, you may have rights financially over the horses.
May I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What if she is getting housing benefit and she says her parents who also have dissability benefit is paying for the hay etc and she has put their name on the passports this month so that they own them.........On the benefit question it's will that be affected and should the council know about these payments which are being made to her for care of the horses.