12826847

Hello, I was caught speeding in scotland in june doing

I was caught speeding in scotland in june doing 99mph in a 70mph. my first and only speeding offence. I was told that I would receive a letter to my home address. I received a letter today summoning me to court. I am wondering where the 14 day rule had any effect with this?
many thanks
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

what would you like to know?

Were you stopped at the scene?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was driving In a rental car.

I have a clean full uk driving licence. I was working driving a photographer from aberdeen to oban to photograph the highland games. the airline we flew with lost my luggage from london, which delayed us by 2-3 hours.

The photographer was annoyed we were running late/ had missed some of the games. I accelerated to overtake on a downhill section. at which point i was caught by police officer with a speed gun/ laser. I didn't really think about it at the time as i had already slowed back down. I don't drive fast normally. around 3 minutes later i was pulled over. Explained the situation to the officer. He was matter of fact took my details and explained i would receive a letter unfortunately because of the speed of 99 he said he was unable to do it at the road side.

he checked my address with me etc. I have heard nothing since.

today the letter turned up explaining i need to make a court appearance in mid september.

So you were stopped at scene?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes

What the officer meant is that you would be sent a summons and indeed you have been.
The 14 day requirement refers to the issue of a notice of intended prosecution which must be done by post within that time. It does not apply here because you were stopped at scene and given a verbal NIP.
The speed was too high proportionate to the limit for a fixed penalty fine at the road side or an invitation to attend the speed awareness course.
The only way this can be pursued is by summons to court. If this is 99 in a 70 mph zone then they will give you either 4-6 points or a short ban of between 7 - 28 days, a fine of 75-125 % of your weekly income, costs of £85 and the victim surcharge.
Sorry that is probably not the answer you wanted but I have to give you truthful information.