UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

When a grandparent dies leaving a will, and leaving a small

When a grandparent dies leaving a will, and leaving a small amount of cash to grandchildren under 16, does this money automatically have to be put in trust until they are 16. My mother has left £1,000 to six grandchildren but not said about leaving it in trust. My sister has said the solicitor said this has to be put in trust until they are 16 - is this correct. Three of the grandchildren were not in the will but Mum said they had to be included in the inheritance.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
No, there is no legal requirement that the money be left in trust for them until they turn 16, their money may be given to their parents or to the children's bank accounts if they have any directly.
May I help further?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks very much for the information given, this will save a few problems within the family. Very good service