seanferguson13
seanferguson13, Solicitor
Experience:  3 year qualified solicitor with expertise in UK taxation.
77909803

Can anyone advice us, we got married at the Aviator Hotel in

Customer Question

Can anyone advice us, we got married at the Aviator Hotel in Farnborough on Saturday 23rd August, we had a post box down stairs with gifts put in as in envelopes with cash in, and it was taken up stairs for the evening guests, it was then put in a locked room overnight, there has been envelopes stolen also some had been opened money taken and resealed then put back, the hotel have said their not responsible for any loss, it's not just the money that upsets us but the cards as we'll, 2 of them we're handmade, we have mentioned this to the hotel and police and still awaiting but not looking promising, we also took out insurance which we have notified them but again that doesn't look promising at the moment, and still awaiting but not looking promising, is there any thing else we can do, can we go to the local news paper to tell our story to see if that will chance anything, or maybe getting a solicitor involved.
Expert:  seanferguson13 replied 2 years ago.

seanferguson13 :

Hi there

seanferguson13 :

I would suggest in the first instance a very strongly worded letter to the hotel setting out your position. In that letter I would state that should you not receive a satisfactory response from them within 10 business days you would proceed to rate and share your experience of their hotel on all possible sites (including Trip Advisor) warning future customers of the experience that they can expect. Inform them that you will also let the local newspapers know as well as national newspapers should there be in any interest.

seanferguson13 :

Express your disappointment that they have not lived up to the basic expectations you had of them to ensure your day was special.

seanferguson13 :

In terms of the legal situation, unfortunately they can disclaim liability for loss of property. However, if this is theft, as it appears it could be - you should also (in your letter) ask for a copy of the CCTV for review. I would phrase your request like this "In addition to the action I shall be taking to warn your prospective customers of my experience I will also be pursuing my own investigation into this situation. As is my right under the Information Commissioner's CCTV Code of Conduct, I request copies of the CCTV images/video from the applicable cameras covering the areas in question."

seanferguson13 :

Whilst you have a right to ask for the CCTV, they do not necessarily have to comply

seanferguson13 :

This letter should be sent special delivery and be typed out formally. Hopefully this will ratchet up the pressure on them.

seanferguson13 :

If this fails then I would contact a local solicitor.

seanferguson13 :

As to the insurance, it will depend entirely on your policy and its wording.

seanferguson13 :

seanferguson13 :

Hi - is there anything else I can help with? If not, I would be very grateful if you could close this question. Kind regards

JACUSTOMER-iuxzwiv2- : Hi,
JACUSTOMER-iuxzwiv2- : Hi sorry only just seen this we normally get an email but didn't this time. I have drafted a letter to them but since our last question we have been informed by the police when they requested the CCTV that is was not working and had not been for a couple of weeks. The police are now carrying out DNA on the envelopes. Also we received a phone call from the hotel to say they are not liable for the lose and it is in our contract upon looking at the contract I noticed that it mentions that we paid for extra security for the evening as they say it is something they require on one security person to every 50 Guests so we should of had two for the number of guests we had at no point in the evening did I see one so are they in breach of contract? Kind regards