Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

my partner is adding me to his shop deeds, he owns the shop

my partner is adding me to his shop deeds, he owns the shop with no motrgage on it how long does this take if we get a solicitor to do it and do i need proof of who i am i;e passport proof where i live and do i need to go to the solicitors with my partner to sign document and have it witnessed thank you
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Alex Hughes : My name is***** and I'm happy to help with your question today. This is called a Transfer of Equity. If there is no mortgage on the property and no money will be changing hands then a transfer of equity is a fairly simple process. Your lawyer should be able to complete the transfer quite quickly depending on how fast you provide certified identification (copy passport/driving licence/proof of address) and return documents. The Land Registry will then take a few weeks to fully register the new details. Unfortunately there is no specific time limit for this but, as I mentioned, it can take a few weeks from start to finish.