75100385

Hello, I have CCTV on my on my ground floor flat due to high

Customer Question

I have CCTV on my on my ground floor flat due to high crime and vandalism in my area and the above flat have accused me of filming their children to our local council, I have a letter stating this from the council and I would like to know what legal action I could take against this defamation

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

There is nothing they can do against you.

Alex Watts :

But this is not really defamation. The law changed and you would now need to show that you have suffered serious harm as a result of the comments.

Alex Watts :

The law specifically states: "A statement is not defamatory unless its publication has caused or is likely to cause serious harm to the reputation of the claimant".

Alex Watts :

However these are very specialist proceedings and you won't get legal aid. The cost of such actions amount to easily £20,000 or so. Also if you lose you have to pay the costs of the other side so your exposure is around £40,000

Alex Watts :

But yes you can take action

Alex Watts :

You would need to complete form N1: http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf

Alex Watts :

And submit it to the High Court.

Alex Watts :

The court will issue the claim and the matter will proceed

Alex Watts :

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/