UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Hello,in 2012 I had a tier 4 visa to study bachelor degree

in 2012 I had a tier 4 visa to study bachelor degree in management studies, my visa was for 3 years, which is the course length, however, I failed the course and came back to my home country and I have been here for about a year, now I'm thinking to study Digital Media bachelor degree, which is a whole different subject, I got accepted in the university and I will apply for a new tier 4 visa next week, but someone told that I can't reapply for tier 4 visa if I am going to study a different major with the same degree level, so I need to know if this true or not, and if I can study digital media or I have to stick with management studies although I didn't pass year 1. hope you can help me with that, thanks.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
You are allowed to study digital media if you obtain sponsorship to study from a UK institution.
However, there are now 5 year limits on student visas at bachelors degree level and if you studied for 3 years previously in the UK, you will only be entitled to another 2 years visa which may not be enoug for you to complete your intended course.
See here for a further explanation
http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/International-Students/Immigration-/Making-a-Tier-4-General-application-in-the-UK/Time-limit-cap-on-study/#
May I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hello,

yes please, I wonder if the foundation year counts with the 5 years? or its only counts from the first year?

The 5 years cap is for a bachelors degree so a foundation year will not count towards it.

Please leave feedback