How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask JGM Your Own Question

JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10914
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My daughter owns a small holding in Aberdeenshire Scotland

Resolved Question:

My daughter owns a small holding in Aberdeenshire Scotland passed down from us. Part of
the land is [about 2 acres] is across the railway. NETWORK RAIL have taken down the
crossing and won't give us access any more despite solicitor's letters. There is also a drain
under the railway which is blocked, but we cannot get across to clear it. this means the
field at the near side is wet all the time. What rights do we have.
John Hay
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
Is there a title deed in respect of access or a Minute of Agreement or other documentation. Similarly, is there any title condition dealing with maintenance of drains and such like?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There is title deed which states that states that we should have access

to all parts of the smallholding [circa 1925 when the property was

purchased]. What happened last year was that our neighbour sold his

land to NETWORK RAIL for we believe £40.000 pounds. He has only been there since 2003. They never even consulted us but just went ahead and dismantled the crossing. Now they are just stonewalling us.

This seems particularly unfair as we now have no access to our land.

This devalues our property somewhat.

As regards ***** ***** drain under the railway we cannot clear it from the other side as we have no access.

There is no other access to the field as it is bounded by a river at the

other side.


John G Hay

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
That's not the first time I've heard this about Network Rail who think they are a law to themselves. You need to get in touch with your solicitor and instruct him or her to write directly to their legal department asserting your right of access under the title. If they refuse to reinstate the access and allow you to carry out maintenance, or do it for you, an application to the court for an order making them do so may be required.
Your solicitor will be able to find out the name of the solicitor for Network Rail in Scotland via the Law Society of Scotland.
They are ignoring you because they no they can so you have to take this to the next level and go legal on them.
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10914
Experience: 30 years as a practising solicitor.
JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice