UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My mother who lives in malta is in need of care and I wondered

My mother who lives in malta is in need of care and I wondered if She could come and live with me in England. Would that be possible and would she be able to access the N.H.S. as Malta is a member of the European Union. My mother is 87 years old and has bowel cancer which is in remission at the moment.. Thanks, Dorothy.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
If your mother is a Maltese national, she is entitled to reside in the UK without any immigration restriction provided she is working in the UK or able to fund her stay in the UK from her own funds I.e.is self sufficient. So you may care for her here provided you pay for it or your mother pays for it.
Under NHS rules,anyone who is ordinarily resident in the Uk is entitled to free NHS treatment, so if your mother intends to live in the UK for a long period, she will be entitled to NHS treatment for free. I would advise that she applies for a European Health Insurance Card from Malta before she comes to the UK.
May I help further?