29905560

further from my previous question i have spoke to ACAS who

further from my previous question i have spoke to ACAS who in turn have spoken to my former employers
i requested they pay me my last months owed wages or i take to claim judgment my previous employers came back saying if they do pay out they will counter claim monies for insurence to for damage to motor cycle and rider whom i hit whilst drunk incharge of their motor vehicle and hence part of reason i was dismissed also cost of premium for company insurence can they do this
Ben Jones : Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How much are you owed and how much was the damage they want to sue you for?
Customer:

i am owed about £2,500 and the motorcyclist is claiming damages of £31,000 which my previous employers are disputing

Customer:

i have a doctors appointment at 10am so have to leave is this ok

Customer:

will be back lunch time thank you

Customer:

hi steve here any progress on question

Ben Jones :

Hi, sorry I was offline by the time you had replied earlier today. It is possible for the employer to make a counter-claim against you for any losses incurred from your negligent actions. If you make your claim in the employment tribunal then they cannot claim against you in there but they will instead have to make a separate claim in the small claims court. This will not be linked to your claim and they can make it at any time, whether you proceed with your claim or not. To be successful they would need to show that you had acted negligently and your actions caused the employer losses. So if you had been drunk in charge of company’s vehicle and caused damages as a result then that is likely to amount to negligent behaviour, which they could potentially sue you for. They cannot ask you to pay any compensation if they are covered by insurance but they could ask you to cover any additional losses they have incurred as a result of making a claim through their insurance, such as increase in premiums or other associated costs.

Hope this clarifies your position? If you could please let me know that would be great, thank you

Customer:

so i have to decide if it is worth claiming for loss of wages against their counter claim for insurance premium increase which could be greater the problem i have is i cannot claim job seekers allowance until october 28th due to the circumstances of my dismissell

Customer:

so i have to decide whether to claim against them or not if i do they could counter claim for increase in insurance premium which could be more than the money they owe me but the problem i have now is that i have no income due to the circumstances of my dismissell and cannot claim job seekers allowance until 28th of October and could do with the money now unless i can get employment in my field which is difficult without a driving license i will have to reconsider my position and thank you for your assistance in this as i now know where i stand

Ben Jones :

you are welcome, hope you get this resolved

Customer:

hi Ben i have another question if i am permitted i am thinking of buying a lease on a public house can i get a licence if i have been convicted for drink driving

Ben Jones :

Hi I am afraid this is a separate query and also not something that falls within my area of expertise so please post is as a new question on our site. Has your original query above been answered by the way? Thanks

Customer:

yes thank you but will not let me rate answer which is excellent and gives me something to work on

Ben Jones :

thanks you, we will resolve at our end, all the best #

Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'