How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34276
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I recently received a letter from the CSA saying my ex-partner

Resolved Question:

I recently received a letter from the CSA saying my ex-partner has recently applied for a variation to vary my child maintenance schedule based on 'Lifestyle is inconsistent with income'.
I am self employed.
They have asked for;
1. Details of income and expenditure
2. Accounts for the last 12 months
3. Information on any dividends taken
They have also said they 'may' share my information I provide with my ex-partner.
My questions are;
1. Do they have a right to 'share' my information with my ex-partner? (The child Support Law states; 'The Secretary of State may make regulations requiring any information or evidence needed for the determination of any application under this Act' - I cant find anywhere where it states they are allowed to pass my information onto someone else?)
2. Will a variation be successful if I am supported financially by my current partner or if my lifestyle is paid for through personal loans?
Thanks in advance
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
1. Yes the information can (and will) be shared as it is pertinent to the application and she is allowed to challenge it
2. Provided you can show that any excessive expenditure is funded by your partner or by loans (or gambling etc etc) - anything other than your income - the variation application wil fail
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the response.

I just have two more questions if you don't mind.

1. I have a car worth £20k. If the application was successful, can they force me to sell it?

2. I have a home worth £250k (which I live in). If the application was successful, can they force me to sell it?

Thanks in advance


Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
No to both - unless there are arrears
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you