Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

a small crack developed on the shower try and a piece came

a small crack developed on the shower try and a piece came out. Despite many calls it took almost a year for sopomeone to inspect it and they stated I had dropped someting -which was not so. Since that time more damage has taken place and I have sent two recorded delivery letters to which I had a reply eventually to the first one offering a manufacurer's inspection but it was at holiday times and I did agree if they could arrange it after that, subject to it being agreed by all parties that it would be a fair unbiased assessment and not one sided. Nothing happened and after waiting another long time I sent the second letter to which after a considerable time I have had no reply. I have had an independent assessment by a qualified trades person and he advised me that I could not have caused that damage even if I had dropped someting which he said he knew I had not, and if it was not seen to it could cause the downstairs ceiling to collapse. I have copies of the correspondence I have sent and now need to know what is the next step to take.
I am an 86 year old woman who has had a hip operation and while I am in good health and active I was advised to have a walk in shower following the operation
which now seems to be gradually becojing obselete
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
My name is***** and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.
Are you looking for a replacement or full fund? What is the value of the shore tray?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Good morning.
Your reply box is empty. Please re-type and send.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry for the delay but my computer is going on and off for some reason \The shower tray was part of a new bathroom to accommodate a walk in shower and involved a considerable amount of work including a new Valiant combi boiler at a cost of £8,000. I am looking for the shower tray to be in the condition it should be so that I can use it without fear of further damage at no cost to me be by whatever means is necessary .

can I just mention that the Valiant . I hope thios is all qjite cleardiator had not been properly tightened and the leak was considerable. After fixing this is operating normally I am glad to say. I added this in my last recorded letter of which I have copies and it was not replied to

be

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Thanks. And could you just confirm when the tray was installed please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The date was November 2011. I had just bought this house and had mov ed from Ayrshire to be near my family.

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Many thanks.
The quality of the shower tray is obviously poor if it has lasted only 3 years. You have the right to seek a replacement or full refund from the seller under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 which states that goods must be of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose. The tray obviously falls below this legal standard. It's also possible that the fitting you mentioned falls below that expected by law because the seller has a duty to excessive reasonable care and skill under the Supply of Goods And Services Act 1982. If your correspondence has not resulted in any response from the seller your next step is to sue them. If you follow this link from the Scottish Courts website it will tell you exactly how to make a claim: https://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/taking-action/small-claims. This will be a small claim against a company.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am very grateful for your help and i can now take it from there with he support of my family. You have given me the confidence I needed. Thank you very much.

Sincerely

REA A.M. YOUNG