How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 70124
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hi my builder a close friend of our family started a job laying

Customer Question

Hi my builder a close friend of our family started a job laying a new driveway for me, i paid him £10,000 i gave it to him in installments paid him in full last october 2013,he was saying he needed the rest of the money to pay for the labour.i did not get any reciepts ,i know i have been foolish,we have not seen him since april when he delivered the edging blocks,there it still much to do i have taken photos of them working back in the autumn last year with the name of their company on their van and have saved all correspondence by text on my phone im so upset by it all is there any hope for me to get help. many thanks.
catherine knott
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

How can I help with this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is there any way that i can get some of my £10,000 or get the company to finish my driveway thwy keep saying they are going to come round but they do not we have not seen them since april there is broken glass down on the ground and i have a 16 month old grandson and it is very dangerous.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Do you have a UK address for him?

Don't give it to me but do you know it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes i have his address

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes i do

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.

You have a variety of options. The first, and probably at this stage the best, is to just write to him saying that if he does not begin the work within 14 days you will sue him to recover the money. That might very well be all that you need to do.

If he still does not respond positively then you could get a solicitor or a barrister under public access to write to him warning of your intention to sue if he does not comply within a further seven days. There is cost in that but only about £100 plus VAT.

Failing that, you can sue to recover here

Of course, there would be court costs but you can claim those back from him although it is one thing to get judgment and another thing to get the money.

Can I clarify anything for you?


What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice