12826847

I have bought a car for my son as he cannot get the finance

I have bought a car for my son as he cannot get the finance due to being a discharged bankrupt. I am worried about the insurance as I will be named as the registered keeper of the car but as I have my own car and will not be driving it (apart from very very occasionally), he needs to insure the car in his name, can this be done or should I change the registered keeper to him and is this legal with the car being on finance?
Why are you the registered keeper?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As I am buying the car new they register it in my name

He should be the registered keeper. He is the keeper.
If you set down that you are the registered keeper then you will become liable for any local council parking fines and various other legal obligations.
Also, the insurance company have a right to know where the vehicle is kept overnight and failing to tell them will be relevant nondisclosure allowing them to disallow any claims.
There isn't anything in principle wrong with you purchasing a car for him as long as everybody is aware of that and nobody is being misled. The finance company will not care as long as you are the liable person because you are the more attractive defendant as you are solvent.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you - can I ask the garage to register the car in my sons name as it has not yet been delivered and is not due until October and the finance has already been approved.

Yes, if it hasn't been done.
You need to tell the finance company just to be certain. I suspect they will have no interest in the matter but its important to disclose.