Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

My employer has sent out emails on two occasions to myself

Customer Question

My employer has sent out emails on two occasions to myself and colleagues advising us to press a link to allow us to read a Chamber of Commerce report. Her main aim is to sway our opinions re: the Yes / No Scottish Independence vote. I believe this is an attempt to coerce a workforce which Is illegal is it not?
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Alex Hughes : My name is***** and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.
Alex Hughes : Have you Ben threatened with any sanctions for not clicking the link or voting?
Alex Hughes : Have you *been* threatened with any sanctions for not clicking the link or voting?
Customer: No it is entirely our choice.
Alex Hughes : OK. On what basis do you say this is coercion if there is no sanction or other pressure?
Customer: Perhaps too strong a work
Customer: But why should we have to allow her to send this sort of mail out to workers?
Alex Hughes : I cannot see anything unlawful on the basis of the information you have given. An employer may have many different reasons for sending such e-mails but it does not necessarily follow that the actions are unlawful. On the basis that there is not threat, pressure or sanction the e-mail does not amount to unlawful conduct by your employer. Apart from anything else: you have the option to delete the e-mail, no respond or, as you have rightly done, complain.
Customer: As a General Manager does she have the right to try to influence us? That is really my question.
Alex Hughes : So she's not your employer?
Customer: Yes she manages the firm I work for.
Alex Hughes : But is she your employer? Does she hire/fire and pay your wages?
Customer: Yes
Alex Hughes : If you feel strongly about the matter, despite it not being unlawful in my opinion, you could lodge a grievance. But in principle there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with what's happened here.
Customer: Ok. Thank you for putting me right.