Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor with more than 30 years experience
18726264

Hello, my neighbour has lived in her council house in London

my neighbour has lived in her council house in London for 45 years she does not want to live there any more is there a way that I can purchase the property with her similar to a joint venture investment?
the property is worth around 1 million pounds.
I understand from internet posts that a council tenant can receive a 30% discount plus a further discount of 1% for every year residing at the property so indeed there would be an excellent overall discount.
The question is whether a contract can be legally binding between myself and my neighbour
and if I can in someway secure any payment I make against the property. Whilst I'm sure the council would not be too happy is there a way a purchase can be legally and securely achieved?
Best regards,
Paul
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 3 years ago.
Hi Paul.
There is nothing to prevent you providing finance to a council tenant on the basis that you participate in the value of the property or to proven you entering into a legally binding agreement that set sour your agreement . However you have to do this within some constraints.
First - only the tenant can become the legal owner of the property on the e purchase
Secondly if the property is transferred within 5 years some of the discount is repayable
Finally you should also be aware that the discount is capped at £102,000 in London so you would not get a 30% discount on a £1m property.
You could not raise a mortgage yourself to do this acquisition because you could not be on the legal title.
If you have access to finance however you could for example take a charge as security and also enter into a binding option ot purchase at the discount price in the future.